Energy Audits for Existing Buildings 101
Energy Audit Definition
According to the American Council for an Energy Efficiency Economy, an energy audit is a thorough accounting of the energy use of a building. Also known as energy assessments, energy audits are a powerful way to understand energy usage as well as improve the energy efficiency and comfort of a home, business, or industrial plant.
Energy Audit Levels
ASHRAE 211: Standard for Commercial Building Energy Audits lists three levels of energy audits:
- Level 1: Walk-Through Analysis/Preliminary Audit
- Level 2: Energy Survey and Analysis
- Level 3: Detailed Analysis of Capital-Intensive Modifications
Level 3 energy audit provides comprehensive energy and financial analysis while Level 1 is the basic/simple audit, and Level 2’s effort is in between.
What are the benefits?
Before major renovations take place, energy audits can provide sufficient data for the decision makers. In general, the benefits of energy audits are listed below:
- Energy Upgrades and Cost Reduction
- BOMA and LEED EBOM certifications
- Retrofits incentives from utility providers such as BC Hydro or FortisBC or the local governments
JRS Engineering offers a wide range of services for existing buildings including energy audits, depreciation reports, warranty reviews, building condition assessments, leak investigations and parking lot/concrete reviews. Please contact us if you are interested in an energy audit or envelope service for your building.