Senior Energy Modeller, Project Manager – Burnaby, BC
JRS Engineering is an industry-leading building envelope consulting firm with offices in Vancouver and Calgary. We work with architects, owners, developers, municipalities, and contractors to advise on how buildings can perform better through improved durability and energy efficiency. Since 1997, we have been providing high-quality building science solutions for both new construction and existing buildings.
We’re problem-solvers with high standards, that’s what our reputation is built on. We seek to hire like-minded individuals who thrive on collaboration, love a technical challenge, and can apply that knowledge to come up with practical solutions that work for our clients.
We are looking for a talented engineer with specialized expertise to join our growing Energy Services Team. As a Senior Energy Modeller and Project Manager, you will work closely with the Division Manager to provide technical training and mentorship to team members, as well as advance our energy modelling practice through winning, managing, and delivering high-quality work.
Here’s what you’ll be doing at JRS:
- Conduct energy modelling for new and existing buildings, including, but not limited to, residential (high rise and low rise), commercial buildings, and institutional buildings
- Conduct site visits to ensure that design packages are complete and inclusive of all site conditions
- Manage and deliver building performance and simulation assignments and greenhouse gas emissions analysis
- Develop our energy audit processes and conduct energy audits
- Prepare energy models in support of Green Rating documentation
- Identify strategies and solutions for clients that improve energy performance and thermal comfort
- Prepare technical reports and presentations for clients to communicate findings and recommendations
- Prepare documentation for permit submissions
- Work with Energy Modelling Division Manager to improve standards and energy modelling strategies
- Provide technical training and mentorship to team members
- Ensure energy modelling procedures are accurately followed
- Continue your education in energy modelling and building envelope to grow your knowledge base and expand your contribution to our services
- Maintain full knowledge of project budgets on an ongoing basis and proactively manage all project staff toensure profitability and quality consistent with Company expectations
- Deliver projects on schedule and on budget, reviewing monthly project billing to analyze billed services andensure accounts are up to date
- Manage client relationships through effective communication throughout the project lifecycle
- As a Professional Engineer registered in BC, review and supervise the projects/ work you are responsible for and provide signed and sealed documents as required
- Work alongside the Energy Services Division Manager to develop and execute the strategy to grow this area of services for JRS
- Oversee RFP submissions, develop fee proposals, and actively contribute to business development
- Be “in the know” on potential Energy Services business opportunities and increase JRS’s connections with potential business partners
- Network with, and deliver presentations to, potential clients such as developers, architects, and property managers and owners with a goal of promoting JRS
- Successfully maintain relationships and contacts with current and previous clients
Here’s what you bring to JRS:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s of Engineering/ Applied Science or Master’s of Engineering/ Applied Science
- Professional Engineer registered in British Columbia
- A minimum 5 years of experience in energy modelling
Knowledge, Competencies, and Capabilities
- Experienced with energy modelling software, BC building code, ASHRAE/NECB/Energy Step Code, and Vancouver Energy Modelling Guidelines
- Proficient with Design Builder, eQuest, HOT2000, THERM, Word, Excel, and Athena
- Certification in any of: Certified Energy Adviser, NFRC certified simulator, or Certified Passive House Consultant/ Certified Passive House Designer considered an asset
- A commitment to being at the forefront of the energy modelling industry evidenced by speaking at conferences, attending seminars, contributing to publications, and giving presentations
- Highly collaborative with a track record of effectively leading project teams
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written, including being a natural presenter
- Superb organizational and time management skills including the abilities to multitask, prioritize, and manage resources effectively
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads
- Must hold a valid British Columbia Driver’s Licence
Why choose JRS:
At JRS, our mission is to lead our profession by consistently delivering high quality services, maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge, and valuing our clients’ goals. Our people are central to this mission. We endeavour to maintain a cooperative and collaborative environment that fosters the growth of our people personally, technically, and professionally through leadership, positive relationships, challenging work and ongoing professional development.
- JRS is certified as an Accredited Employer by Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC), demonstrating both our commitment to our people and to delivering high quality service to our clients.
- Our structured EIT training and mentorship program, and Professional Development allowances for all, create opportunities for career growth and development.
- We are strongly committed to corporate social responsibility and dedicated to innovative and sustainable practices.
JRS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education.