Senior Energy Modeller, Mechanical – Burnaby, BC
JRS Engineering is an industry-leading building envelope consulting firm with offices in Vancouver and Calgary. We work with architects, owners, developers, municipalities, and contractors to advise on how buildings can perform better through improved durability and energy efficiency. Since 1997, we have been providing high-quality building science solutions for both new construction and existing buildings.
We’re problem-solvers with high standards, that’s what our reputation is built on. We seek to hire like-minded individuals who thrive on collaboration, love a technical challenge, and can apply that knowledge to come up with practical solutions that work for our clients.
We have an opportunity for a Senior Energy Modeller to work closely with our Energy Services Division Manager to deliver high quality energy services, provide technical training and supervision to team members, and advance our energy modelling practice. In addition, as a member of the integrated design team, the Senior Energy Modeller will coordinate with Building Envelope Consultants across our Divisions (Roofing, New Construction, and Existing Buildings) to provide thermal modelling, thermal bridging calculations, and mechanical assessment services.
Here’s what you’ll be doing at JRS:
- Energy Modelling:
- Conduct energy modelling for new and existing buildings, including, but not limited to, residential (high rise and low rise), commercial buildings, and institutional buildings
- Conduct site visits to ensure that design packages are complete and inclusive of all site conditions
- Manage and deliver building performance and simulation assignments and greenhouse gas emissions analysis
- Develop our energy audit processes and conduct energy audits
- Prepare energy models in support of Green Rating documentation
- Identify strategies and solutions for clients that improve energy performance and thermal comfort
- Prepare technical reports and presentations for clients to communicate findings and recommendations
- Prepare documentation for permit submissions
- Mechanical Engineering:
- Conduct mechanical assessments (HVAC and plumbing/ piping) for existing buildings
- Mechanical design (HVAC and plumbing/ piping)
- Tender and permitting
- Perform field reviews and produce reports
- Provide contract administration services
- Building Envelope Consulting:
- Conduct thermal performance analysis/ thermal modelling and thermal bridging calculations; coordinate findings with our building science/ consulting services team
- If workload permits, assist with window tests, building assessments/ investigations and other forms of field testing
- Maintain full knowledge of project budgets on an ongoing basis and proactively manage all project staff toensure profitability and quality consistent with Company expectations
- Deliver projects on schedule and on budget, reviewing monthly project billing to analyze billed services andensure accounts are up to date
- Manage client relationships through effective communication throughout the project lifecycle
- As a Professional Engineer registered in BC, review and supervise the projects/work you are responsible for and provide signed and sealed documents as required
- Work with Energy Modelling Division Manager to improve standards and energy modelling strategies
- Provide technical training and mentorship to team members
- Ensure energy modelling procedures are accurately followed
- Continue your education in energy modelling and building envelope to grow your knowledge base and expand your contribution to our services
- Assist Division Manager and other leaders to generate a steady stream of business in Energy Modelling and Mechanical consulting services
- Write proposals
Here’s what you bring to JRS:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s of Engineering/ Applied Science or Master’s of Engineering/ Applied Science with a specialization in mechanical
- Professional Engineer registered in British Columbia
- Passive House certification is an asset
- Minimum 5 years of experience in energy modelling
Knowledge, Competencies, and Capabilities
- In depth knowledge of BC Building Code, ASHRAE/NECB/Energy Step Code, and Vancouver Energy Modelling Guidelines
- Highly proficient with modelling software including Design Builder, eQuest, THERM, and Athena
- Highly collaborative with a track record of effectively leading project teams
- A commitment to being at the forefront of the energy modelling industry evidenced by speaking at conferences, attending seminars, contributing to publications, and giving presentations
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Superb organizational and time management skills including the abilities to multitask, prioritize, and manage resources effectively
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads
- Must hold a valid British Columbia Driver’s Licence
Why choose JRS:
At JRS, our mission is to lead our profession by consistently delivering high quality services, maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge, and valuing our clients’ goals. Our people are central to this mission. We endeavour to maintain a cooperative and collaborative environment that fosters the growth of our people personally, technically, and professionally through leadership, positive relationships, challenging work and ongoing professional development.
- JRS is certified as an Accredited Employer by Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC), demonstrating both our commitment to our people and to delivering high quality service to our clients.
- Our structured EIT training and mentorship program, and Professional Development allowances for all, create opportunities for career growth and development.
- We are strongly committed to corporate social responsibility and dedicated to innovative and sustainable practices.
JRS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education.