Senior Building Envelope Consultant – Burnaby, BC
JRS Engineering is an industry-leading building envelope consulting firm with offices in Vancouver and Calgary. We work with architects, owners, developers, municipalities, and contractors to advise on how buildings can perform better through improved durability and energy efficiency. Since 1997, we have been providing high-quality building science solutions for both new construction and existing buildings.
We’re problem-solvers with high standards, that’s what our reputation is built on. We seek to hire like-minded individuals who thrive on collaboration, love a technical challenge, and can apply that knowledge to come up with practical solutions that work for our clients.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Building Envelope Consultant with a minimum of 10 years of experience to join our team of technical professionals. In this role, you will manage projects and address engineering challenges of advanced complexity. Our Senior Building Envelope Consultants oversee investigations, reports, design work, field reviews, contract administration, and client management. Project types range in size from small to large, wood frame to concrete, and include both new construction and existing buildings.
Here’s what you’ll be doing at JRS:
• Prepare and review written reports, which may include, legal reports, warranty reviews, maintenance reviews/manuals, building envelope condition assessments, etc.; outline findings, conclusions and recommendations
• Complete forensic assessments including leak reviews, structural deterioration assessments, etc. and produce associated reports
• Apply engineering design and risk assessments to develop design solutions including drafting design and construction documents; apply knowledge of city and municipality building codes and standards
• Oversee 3rd party reviews of building envelope designs for new construction and major retrofit projects
• Oversee and perform field reviews, investigations, contract administration and quality assurance during all stages of consulting and construction projects
• Oversee and perform window tests, air leakage tests, and other field testing
• Assume professional responsibility for projects consisting of drawings, specifications, and other technical documents that have been prepared, or review those documents prepared by others under your direct supervision
• Proactively manage projects to ensure they are delivered on schedule, on budget, to a high standard of quality, and profitably
• Supervise, and delegate to junior staff, providing guidance and direction, evaluating performance, and giving feedback to promote constant improvement and high-quality services
• Attend site/client meetings to ensure senior involvement, manage communication, and build client relationships
• Demonstrate excellence in technical knowledge in building science and building envelope; share knowledge with the JRS team
• Seek opportunities to establish relationships with new clients and maintain/improve relationships with existing clients
• Monitor demands of the market and work with management team to ensure our portfolio of services reflect the market and promote company growth
• Lead and contribute to proposals; implement strategic marketing opportunities
Here’s what you bring to JRS:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Applied Science/ Engineering and PEng designation with EGBC; or Bachelor/ Master of Architecture and registered as an Architect with AIBC; or Diploma in Engineering Technology/ Architecture Technology and AScT designation with ASTTBC
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in building science and building envelope consulting
Knowledge, Competencies, and Capabilities
- A commitment to being at the forefront of the industry evidenced by speaking at conferences, attending seminars, contributing to publications, and giving presentations
- A track record of effectively leading project teams
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Superb organizational and time management skills including the abilities to multitask, prioritize, and manage resources effectively
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads
- Must be willing to work at heights including climbing ladders, and working on swing stages and scaffolding
- Must hold a valid British Columbia Driver’s Licence
Why choose JRS:
At JRS, our mission is to lead our profession by consistently delivering high quality services, maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge, and valuing our clients’ goals. Our people are central to this mission. We endeavour to maintain a cooperative and collaborative environment that fosters the growth of our people personally, technically, and professionally through leadership, positive relationships, challenging work and ongoing professional development.
- JRS is MIT and OQM certified by the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC), demonstrating both our commitment to our people and to delivering high quality service to our clients.
- Our structured EIT training and mentorship program, and PD allowances for all, create opportunities for career growth and development.
- We are strongly committed to corporate social responsibility and dedicated to innovative and sustainable practices.
JRS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education.