Junior-Intermediate Building Science Consultant, Burnaby
The Junior-Intermediate Building Science Consultant will be primarily responsible for providing project technical support and assistance, which will require applying a variety of established building science principles and standards and working with senior staff when presented with challenges of advanced complexity. Day-to-day duties involve communicating with clients, conducting investigations, producing reports, as well as design work, field reviews and contract administration. Properties/buildings range from small to large, wood frame to concrete, as well as new and existing buildings.
- Work with and report to other engineers and project managers where dictated by project complexity and to expand upon knowledge base and experience;
- Proactively seek opportunities to establish relationships with new clients and to maintain/improve relationships with existing ones;
- Prepare written reports, which may include, but is not limited to depreciation reports, warranty reviews, maintenance reviews/manuals, leak investigations, etc., outlining findings, conclusions and recommendations;
- Assist project managers with reviewing of technical documents provided by the clients, clients’ representatives and authorities of jurisdiction for each project; Be familiar with various City and Municipality building codes;
- Apply engineering and/or architectural design and risk assessment to develop design solutions;
- Perform field reviews, testing and risk assessments;
- Conduct and assist with window tests, bosun chair drops and other field testing;
- Litigation support consisting of reviewing files, summarizing documents, and research and report writing;
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, & Self-Development:
- 1-2 years engineering/technical experience with a preference in building envelope/science, structural, mechanical, acoustics, civil or code consulting;
- Registration as an EIT with APEGBC, or an Intern Architect with AIBC;
- Involvement in professional development opportunities such as conferences, seminars, publications and presentations;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment with humility and a high attention to detail;
- Inherent organizational skills and coordination skills;
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, including ability to translate vague or complex requests into concrete actions;
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads;
JRS Engineering is a premier full-service consulting firm specializing in building science and building envelope consulting. With over 55 people in 3 offices and over 450 years of construction and consulting experience, we consist of engineers, architects, technologists, roof inspectors, reserve planners, energy/thermal modellers and master’s graduates in building science. Because of our robust and structured EIT training and mentorship program, we are an Accredited Employer within Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s Member-In-Training Program – the only company in building envelope consulting, which means our EITs become P.Engs faster than any other company in our industry.
For a more detailed job description, please visit our careers page at www.jrsengineering.com. To apply, please send your resume with cover letter to HR@jrsengineering.com. Applications must have BEC-VR in the subject line. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. No recruiters please.