Junior Energy Modeller, Burnaby, BC
JRS Engineering is an industry leading building envelope consulting firm with offices in Vancouver and Calgary. As a growing team of over 50 building science professionals, we are at the forefront of providing quality, value-conscious building science solutions. We are a full-service firm, offering integrated services across our departments. From new construction, design, sustainability, investigations and assessments, to rehabilitation and repairs, our team is proud of the diverse services we deliver.
We are currently looking to add a talented Junior Energy Modeller to join the team as a member of our growing Energy Services Division. In this role, you will be responsible for facilitating and applying innovation amongst the team in identifying energy efficient solutions. We will look to you to provide project technical support and assistance, while applying a variety of established building science principles and standards. You will work closely with senior staff to find solutions for complex and advanced challenges. Your typical day will involve communicating with clients, conducting investigations, producing reports, as well as design work, field reviews, and contract administration.
- Conduct energy modelling for new and existing buildings, including but not limited to residential (high rise and low rise) and commercial;
- Conduct thermal bridging and thermal performance analysis;
- Collaborate with team members and communicate with clients to gather and disseminate information throughout the energy modeling process;
- Organize and report energy modeling results in a clear and concise manner;
- Continuing education in energy modelling and building envelope to develop the necessary skills to fulfill role/projects requirements;
- Work with other engineers, technologists and project managers as dictated by project complexity, as well as expand on knowledge base and experience;
- Assist with design site visits to ensure that design packages are complete and inclusive of all site conditions;
- If energy modelling and drafting workload permit, you may assist with window tests, building assessments/investigations and other forms of field testing, as required;
- Maintain full knowledge of project requirements for each project, including any scope changes which may evolve, occur or be required throughout the course of the project;
- Constantly communicate with staff to establish assignments, tasks and deadlines. Regularly review activities for consistency with expectations and goals and provide feedback as required;
- Meet internal and external budgets and deadlines, while handling multiple projects of varying priorities, complexities and objectives at the same time.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Applied Science;
- Understanding of energy modelling software, BC building code, ASHRAE/NECB/Energy Step Code, and Vancouver Energy Modelling Guidelines;
- Experience with Design Builder, eQuest, HOT2000, THERM, Word, Excel, Athena;
- Preferably a Certified Energy Adviser, NFRC certified simulator, or Certified Passive House Consultant/Certified Passive House Designer;
- Highly collaborative and able to work effectively in a team environment;
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills;
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to translate vague/complex requests into concrete actions;
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads.
Why choose JRS:
At JRS, our mission is to lead our profession by consistently delivering high quality services, maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge, and valuing our clients’ goals. Essential to this mission is based on one of our core values – people. We endeavour to maintain a cooperative and collaborative environment that fosters the growth of our people personally, technically, and professionally through leadership, positive relationships, challenging work and ongoing professional development.
- JRS is MIT and OQM certified by the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC), demonstrating both our commitment to our people and to delivering high quality service to our clients.
- Structured EIT training and mentorship program, creating opportunity for growth and personal development.
- Strong commitment to corporate social responsibility and dedicated to innovative and sustainable practices.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications must have JEM-VR in the subject line. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
JRS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education. No phone calls please. No recruiters please.