Junior Building Envelope Consultant – Burnaby, BC
The Junior Building Envelope Consultant will be primarily responsible for providing project technical support and assistance, which will require applying a variety of established building science principles and standards and working with senior staff when presented with challenges of advanced complexity. Day-to-day duties involve communicating with clients, conducting investigations, producing reports, as well as design work, field reviews and contract administration. Properties/buildings range from small to large, wood frame to concrete, as well as new and existing buildings.
- Initial work experience will focus primarily on report writing, then progress to more design, field work and project management;
- Work with and report to other engineers and project managers where dictated by project complexity and to expand upon knowledge base and experience;
- Maintain full knowledge of the scope of work and scope of services for each project, including any changes which may evolve, occur or be required throughout the course of the project. Ensure services are compliant with scope and JRS company standards and procedures;
- Constantly communicate with JRS staff to explain assignments, tasks and deadlines. Regularly review activities for consistency with expectations and goals and provide feedback as required;
- Meet internal and external deadlines, while handling multiple projects of varying priorities, complexities and objectives at the same time.
- Prepare written reports, which will mainly focus on depreciation reports, but also warranty reviews, maintenance reviews/manuals, leak investigations, etc., outlining findings, conclusions and recommendations;
- Assist project managers with reviewing of technical documents provided by the clients, clients’ representatives and authorities of jurisdiction for each project; Be familiar with various City and Municipality building codes;
- Apply engineering and/or architectural design and risk assessment to develop design solutions;
- Perform field reviews, testing and risk assessments;
- Conduct and assist with window tests, bosun chair drops and other field testing.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, & Self-Development:
- 1-2 years engineering/technical experience with a preference in building envelope/science, structural, mechanical, acoustics, civil or code consulting;
- Registration as an EIT with Engineers and Geoscientists BC, or an Intern Architect with AIBC;
- Involvement in professional development opportunities such as conferences, seminars, publications and presentations;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment with humility and a high attention to detail;
- Inherent organizational skills and coordination skills;
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, including ability to translate vague or complex requests into concrete actions;
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads;
JRS Engineering is a premier full service consulting firm specializing in building science and building envelope consulting. With over 55 people in 3 offices and over 450 years of construction and consulting experience, we consist of engineers, architects, technologists, roof inspectors, reserve planners, energy/thermal modellers and master’s graduates in building science. Because of our robust and structured EIT training and mentorship program, we are an Accredited Employer within Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s Member-In-Training Program – the only company in building science, which means our EITs become P.Engs faster than any other company in our industry.
Applications must have JBEC-VR in the subject line. To apply, please send your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.