Junior Building Envelope Consultant – Burnaby, BC
JRS Engineering is an industry-leading building envelope consulting company with offices in Vancouver and Calgary. We work with architects, owners, developers, municipalities, and contractors to advise on how buildings can perform better through improved durability and energy efficiency. Since 1997, we have been providing high-quality building science solutions for both new construction and existing buildings.
We’re problem-solvers with high standards, that’s what our reputation is built on. We seek to hire like-minded individuals who thrive on collaboration, love a technical challenge, and can apply that knowledge to come up with practical solutions that work for our clients.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Junior Building Envelope Consultant to join our team of technical professionals. In this role, you will conduct investigations, produce reports, undertake design work, perform field reviews and contract administration, and interact with clients on projects that range in size from small to large, wood frame to concrete, and include both new construction and existing buildings.
Here’s what you’ll be doing at JRS:
- Prepare written reports which may include building envelope condition assessments, leak investigations, warranty reviews, maintenance reviews/manuals, legal reports, etc.; outline findings, conclusions, and recommendations
- Assist with developing building envelope design solutions including drafting design and construction documents; apply knowledge of City and Municipal Building Codes
- Assist with third party reviews of building envelope designs for new construction and major retrofit projects
- Assist with field reviews, investigations, contract administration, and quality assurance during all stages of consulting and new construction projects
- Assist with and conduct window tests, air leakage tests, and other field testing
- Work with, and report to, other engineers and project managers as dictated by project complexity and to expand knowledge base and experience
- Build positive relationships with clients and stakeholders to achieve repeat business
- Complete services in compliance with scope and JRS company standards and procedures
- Meet internal and external deadlines while handling multiple projects of varying priorities, complexities, and objectives
Here’s what you bring to JRS:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Applied Science/ Engineering and EIT designation with EGBC; or Bachelor/ Master of Architecture and registered as an architect with AIBC; or Diploma in Engineering Technology/ Architecture Technology and AScT designation (or working towards this) with ASTTBC
- Some work experience in building science or construction preferred
Knowledge, Competencies, and Capabilities
- A commitment to professional development evidenced by attending conferences and seminars, producing publications, and giving presentations
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to translate vague or complex requests into concrete actions
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Superb organizational, time management, and coordination skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads
- Must be willing to work at heights including climbing ladders, and working on swing stages and scaffolding
- Must hold a valid British Columbia Driver’s Licence
Why choose JRS:
At JRS, our mission is to lead our profession by consistently delivering high quality services, maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge, and valuing our clients’ goals. Our people are central to this mission. We endeavour to maintain a cooperative and collaborative environment that fosters the growth of our people personally, technically, and professionally through leadership, positive relationships, challenging work and ongoing professional development.
- JRS is certified as an Accredited Employer by Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC), demonstrating both our commitment to our people and to delivering high-quality service to our clients.
- Our structured EIT training and mentorship program, and PD allowances for all, create opportunities for career growth and development.
- We are strongly committed to corporate social responsibility and dedicated to innovative and sustainable practices.
JRS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education.