Intermediate Building Envelope Consultant – Burnaby, BC
JRS Engineering is an industry-leading building envelope consulting company with offices in Vancouver and Calgary. We work with architects, owners, developers, municipalities, and contractors to advise on how buildings can perform better through improved durability and energy efficiency. Since 1997, we have been providing high-quality building science solutions for both new construction and existing buildings.
We’re problem-solvers with high standards, that’s what our reputation is built on. We seek to hire those who thrive on collaboration, love a technical challenge, and can apply that knowledge to come up with practical solutions that work for our clients.
To lead our profession by consistently delivering high-quality services, maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge, and valuing our clients’ goals.
Our Corporate Culture
The JRS corporate culture is built on collaboration. Guided by our core values, we are committed to fostering an environment that promotes growth through professional development, teamwork, and mentorship. We take pride in celebrating our people, their diversity, and their professional and personal achievements.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Building Envelope Consultant with a minimum of 5 years of experience to join our team of technical professionals. In this role, you will conduct assessments and investigations, produce reports, undertake design work, perform field reviews, and interact with clients. Projects range in size from small to large, wood frame to concrete, and include both new construction and existing buildings.
Here’s what you’ll be doing at JRS:
- Complete, or assist in completing, assessments and investigations of building conditions and performance of envelope systems which may include leak investigations, condensation analyses, and building envelope condition assessments
- Prepare written reports which may include warranty reviews, depreciation reports, maintenance reviews/ manuals, legal reports, etc.; outline findings, conclusions, and recommendations
- Develop building envelope design solutions including drafting design and construction documents for repair, renewal, and rehabilitation projects; apply knowledge of City and Municipal Building Codes
- Perform and coordinate field reviews, investigations, risk assessments, contract administration, and quality assurance during all stages of consulting and construction projects
- Complete 3rd party reviews of building envelope designs for new construction and major retrofit projects
- Conduct, or assist with, window tests, air barrier tests, and other field testing
- Work with, and report to, other Engineers and Project Managers as dictated by project complexity and to expand knowledge base and experience
- Maintain full knowledge of the scope of work and scope of services for each project including any changes which may occur throughout the course of the project
- Assist with project management activities
- Build positive relationships with clients to achieve repeat business
- Meet internal and external deadlines while handling multiple projects of varying priorities, complexities, and objectives
Here’s what you bring to JRS:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Applied Science/ Engineering and EIT or P.Eng. designation with EGBC; or Bachelor/ Master of Architecture and registered as an Architect with AIBC; or Diploma in Engineering Technology/ Architectural Technology and AScT designation with ASTTBC
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in building science and building envelope consulting
Knowledge, Competencies, and Capabilities
- A commitment to professional development evidenced by attending conferences and seminars, and giving presentations
- Outstanding communication skills both verbal and written, including the ability to translate vague or complex requests into concrete actions
- Superb organizational, time management, and coordination skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads
- Must be willing to work at heights including climbing ladders, and working on swing stages and scaffolding
- Must hold a valid British Columbia Driver’s Licence
Why choose JRS:
- JRS is certified as an Accredited Employer by Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC), demonstrating both our commitment to our people and to delivering high-quality service to our clients.
- Our structured EIT training and mentorship program, and PD allowances for all, create opportunities for career growth and development.
- We are strongly committed to corporate social responsibility and dedicated to innovative and sustainable practices.
JRS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education.