Energy Modeller, Junior – Burnaby, BC
JRS Engineering is an industry-leading building envelope consulting firm with offices in Vancouver and Calgary. We work with architects, owners, developers, municipalities, and contractors to advise on how buildings can perform better through improved durability and energy efficiency. Since 1997, we have been providing high-quality building science solutions for both new construction and existing buildings.
We’re problem-solvers with high standards, that’s what our reputation is built on. We seek to hire like-minded individuals who thrive on collaboration, love a technical challenge, and can apply that knowledge to come up with practical solutions that work for our clients.
We are looking for a talented EIT with specialized expertise in energy modelling to join our growing Energy Services team. As an Energy Modeller, you will work closely with the Division Manager and Energy Services team to deliver high-quality work and ultimately advance our energy modelling practice.
Here’s what you’ll be doing at JRS:
- Conduct energy modelling for new and existing buildings, including, but not limited to, residential (high rise and low rise), commercial buildings, and institutional buildings
- Conduct embodied emission calculation or whole-building life-cycle assessment
- Assist with site visits to ensure that design packages are complete and inclusive of all site conditions
- Deliver building performance and simulation assignments and greenhouse gas emissions analysis
- Work closely with the building envelope team to conduct thermal bridging and thermal performance analysis
- Prepare energy models in support of Green Rating documentation
- Assist with identifying strategies and solutions for clients that improve energy performance and thermal comfort
- Assist with technical reports and presentations for clients to communicate findings and recommendations
- Assist with documentation for permit submissions
- Collaborate with team members and communicate with clients to gather and disseminate information throughout the energy modeling process
- Organize and report energy modelling results in a clear and concise manner
- Maintain full knowledge of the scope of work and scope of services for each project including any changes which may occur throughout the course of the project
- Meet internal and external deadlines while handling multiple projects of varying complexities
- Continue your education in energy modelling and building envelope to grow your knowledge base and expand your contribution to our services
Here’s what you bring to JRS:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s of Engineering/ Applied Science or Master’s of Engineering/ Applied Science
- EIT designation with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC)
- Experience in energy modelling an asset
Knowledge, Competencies, and Capabilities
- Experience with energy modelling software, BC Building Code, ASHRAE/NECB/Energy Step Code, and Vancouver Energy Modelling Guidelines
- Proficiency in Design Builder, eQuest, HOT2000, THERM, Word, Excel, and Athena
- Certification in any of the following considered an asset: Certified Energy Adviser, NFRC certified simulator, or Certified Passive House Consultant/ Certified Passive House Designer
- A commitment to being at the forefront of the energy modelling industry evidenced by attending seminars, contributing to publications, and giving presentations
- Highly collaborative
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Superb organizational and time management skills including the abilities to multitask, prioritize, and manage resources effectively
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads
- Must hold a valid British Columbia Driver’s Licence
Why choose JRS:
At JRS, our mission is to lead our profession by consistently delivering high-quality services, maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge, and valuing our clients’ goals. Our people are central to this mission. We endeavour to maintain a cooperative and collaborative environment that fosters the growth of our people personally, technically, and professionally through leadership, positive relationships, challenging work and ongoing professional development.
- JRS is certified as an Accredited Employer by Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC), demonstrating both our commitment to our people and to delivering high-quality service to our clients.
- Our structured EIT training and mentorship program, and Professional Development allowances for all, create opportunities for career growth and development.
- We are strongly committed to corporate social responsibility and dedicated to innovative and sustainable practices.
JRS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please let us know of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education.