Communications Manager – Burnaby, BC
Job Purpose: Lead, manage and implement a strategic communications function at JRS Engineering. This is a newly elevated role that includes development of an overall company-wide communications and marketing strategy, including social media, public relations, internal and external communications. A tactical aspect includes responsibility for project proposals (with admin support), which demands excellent writing and thought-organization skills. “Other duties as assigned” may include copywriting, technical editing, knowledge management, design and web oversight and brand management. This is an “investment” role, with the expectation of advancement and growth both for the person filling the position, and the role within JRS.
Manage and implement communications function (50%)
- Develop, lead and implement JRS’ first-ever strategic communications and marketing plan, working in partnership with the principals to support business objectives and client service.
- Provide ongoing support for a firm-wide brand strategy, including message targeting for key audiences.
- Lead the pursuit of speaking opportunities for principals, as well as awards and recognition for JRS overall.
- Provide advanced copywriting, copyediting and substantive editing as needed in support of achieving JRS’ communications objectives, ranging from strategy documents to staff and company profiles, and industry/technical articles.
- Actively build relationships with trade media and within key client industries; identify advertising and advertorial.
Oversee proposal development and submission (20%)
- Responsible for interpreting procurement documents, managing the submission timeline, as well as writing, presentation and submission of JRS’ responses for sometimes complex, formal solicitations (for proposals, qualifications or expressions of interest). Work may include (but not limited to):
- First-time response to solicitations from large public-sector clients for whom JRS has never worked (requiring careful strategizing and full involvement of company principals).
- Unusually complex, with identified high-risk components and needing a strong understanding of procurement requirements, regulations and legalities.
- Large-value, non-standard solicitations requiring a new or unusual approach to be effective and meet solicitation requirements.
- Oversee and build capacity with technical personnel & other staff who are preparing proposals and solicitation responses.
- Review public project postings, identify opportunities and notify appropriate internal
Other communication & marketing tasks (20%)
- Monitor and update JRS brand identity; lead on conveying of key messages and defining/implementing company documentation style guides.
- Propose, develop and implement strategy-based adjustments in process and messaging in support of overall strategy.
- Provide high-level online content management for blogs, social media and website.
Other duties as assigned (10%)
- Support JRS’ client managers, team supervisors and principals/directors (internal stakeholders) with design and development of effective presentations for client, general marketing and professional presentation purposes.
- Work collaboratively across several of JRS’ teams, including client management, projects, engineering and human resources/administration to implement pre-defined integrated communication and marketing strategies.
- Develop systems, templates, policies, processes and procedures to help ensure consistency of appearance and quality across all of JRS’ internal and external documents.
- Provide support, as needed, for assignments such as job postings, CV review, and template development.
- Other marketing tasks: business cards, signage, presentation and event materials, event planning, association marketing.
- Education: Diploma or degree in English, Technical Writing, Marketing, Communications or a related field.
- Seven to ten years in a related position, with preference given for understanding or experience with a technical or engineering environment.
- Preference given to candidates who have started the certification journey with a Communication Management Professional designation or APR, and who is looking specifically to grow into a Strategic Communication Management Professional within the next 3-5 years.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent business computer skills including web/social media and presentation development.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- English (required)
- We are a growing company within our industry, and we hope you share the same enthusiasm for growth within yourself. JRS celebrates our employees annually with a holiday party, a team-building day trip to Whistler and a family-oriented summer BBQ. We strive to create a culture of support and collaboration both in and outside the office.
- Our compensation package is highly competitive, commensurate with experience and qualifications; benefits after 3 months.
- Full-time, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm.
- We are accepting applications for this position from February 13, 2020 through March 6, 2020.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those considered for interviews will be contacted.
- Local candidates only, please.
- No phone calls and no recruiters, please.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education. No phone calls please. No recruiters please.