Building Science Consultant – Seattle, WA
Job Purpose: Manage small to medium design and consulting projects and participate in other
building science consulting activities.
JRS Engineering (JRS) is a consulting firm of engineers, architects, and construction professionals that specializes in building science. We are passionate about buildings and we work to improve the built environment by helping designers, owners, and builders create building enclosures that are durable, energy efficient, and cost effective. Our mission is to be a leader in the industry by consistently delivering high‑quality service to our clients that respects their project goals, and by maintaining and cultivating our technical knowledge. Our most valuable asset is our staff – we strive to hire and retain highly skilled, motivated team members to help us achieve our mission.
We are seeking a driven individual with experience or education in the building industry, who has a technical aptitude and an interest in Building Science. The Building Science Consultant role is an intermediate-level position tasked with managing small to medium scaled projects during design and construction. The successful candidate will be able to manage schedules, collaborate and direct the work of others within the company, be a client liaison, provide technical design analysis and administer construction phase scope. The role may also include production of design documentation and construction documents using AutoCAD or Revit for new construction and rehabilitation projects. Collaboration will be required with other team members including architects, owners, and contractors.
An interest in learning about façades, windows, waterproofing, roofing, and building science fundamentals is needed to be successful in this role. This will be taught as part of job training to supplement existing knowledge.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture or other building construction related field
- 2-5 years of experience as a building science consultant or equivalent alternate experience in building design or construction.
- Exceptional attention to detail with the ability to comprehend the scope and process for each project
- Strong managerial, technical, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently on a variety of activities
- Desire to learn and build expertise from experience
- Experience collaborating with contractors, architects, and consultants
- High level of responsibility and diligence
- Effective oral and written English skills
- Excellent skills in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite is preferred
- An interest in energy-related building issues and building science
- The desire and ambition to be an integral part of our firm’s growth
- A valid driver’s licence and reliable vehicle
- Manage projects of small to medium size and average level of complexity. Based on work loading, support to other project managers may be necessary.
- Managing existing clients and cultivating new ones on a foundation of exceptional service.
- Becoming fully familiar with and following JRS’ policies, processes and procedures for office and site work, conduct and safety.
- Helping ensure work product meets or exceeds professional standards.
- Provide building science expertise on assigned projects in collaboration with other staff and support and direction from senior staff.
- Work with a basic to moderate level of technical and administrative autonomy to deliver a broad range of building envelope consulting tasks.
- Administer contracts as Consultant in accordance with our scope of services construction contract, and JRS’ standards, policies and procedures.
- Discuss and resolve any complex issues or potential risks that arise with the Managers and other technical and senior staff as appropriate to situation.
- Produce sketches and other graphic material to communicate design intent.
- Review and produce written reports, letters and specifications consistent with JRS standards and good building science foundation.
This is a full-time position with medical benefits, retirement plan, and paid time off. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, benefits, and support for continuing education.
For more information please visit our website: www.jrsengineering.com. To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com. We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Join us today and grow your potential alongside our own. JRS offers competitive compensation based on experience, full benefits, and support for continuing education. No phone calls please. No recruiters please.